We covenant with each other, promising our goodwill and honest effort, pledging our care and support to one another and to our church community, challenging one another to live in accord with our Unitarian Universalist principles.
With this common purpose as our source, we covenant:
- to welcome all who come to use with acceptance and respect for the differences among us, and to remain open to the richness and discomforts of diversity;
- to listen with sincerity and love;
- to foster trust, practice patience and speak one’s truth directly and with compassion;
- to reflect carefully about the potential results of our words and actions before we speak or act;
- to assume the positive intent of others and keep our discussions to topics and issues rather than personalities;
- to acknowledge that we may not always agree with the group decisions, but we will support and participate in decision-making processes that are collaborative and democratic; and be open to compromise;
- to pursue mutually satisfying resolution when there is disagreement, and seek help when needed;
- to speak directly to those with whom we have disagreements and encourage others to do the same;
- to speak out with loving kindness when we witness disrespectful interactions, acknowledging our fallibility and practicing forgiveness;
- to act with loving kindness, seeking to promote justice, equity, and compassion;
- to understand that building our beloved community requires ongoing learning and practice of courageous acts of love and reconciliation.