TVUUC Music Program
TVUUC’s Music Program is based on a large group of various musicians who volunteer their expertise. We provide Sunday services with a wide variety of musical styles, instruments and cultural representations. We maintain a culture of music education which supports the Lifelong Religious Exploration program in a way that encourages volunteerism in the church and in the activist community.
Meet David Asbury, Our Music Director
David grew up in the small town of Eden, NC near Greensboro and started studying piano at age 10. He was raised from birth in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He had the opportunity to start playing piano for services at age 12 and has been playing in worship services ever since. He loved the LDS church and its community, but doubted its truth claims and by age 25 couldn’t honestly meet the church’s requirements to affirm those claims and I finally left the church at age 28. Soon after, while teaching in the same community music school, he met the love of his life, Amy Jo Wiggins. In 2005 they married and moved to Winchester, VA. Their lives together have always revolved around making and teaching music. He is now TVUUC’s music director, leading the choir, performing for worship services, and coordinating the efforts of volunteer musicians.
read more –>
- Choir Rehearsals Wednesdays 6:30pm-8:30pm during the public school year
- House Band rehearsals: 10:30am on Sundays (before Sunday Service–varies based on need), and every second Sunday 9:00am-10:30pm
- Brass Ensemble Rehearsal: Wednesdays 1:00pm-2:30pm
- Old-Time String Band: 1st and 3rd Mondays 7:00 p.m. in Lizzie Crozier Room. Requirements for participation are just to have fun making music! Any instrument is welcome — washboards, clavé’s…whatever!
Contact: Ann Barber at 865-306-3420.
- Sing in the Choir
- Play with the House Band
- Join the Brass Ensemble
- Perform Solos
- Join the Music Committee
- Teach music to children in Religious Exploration
- Help maintain the iibrary
- Justice Choir Chapter Formation Interest Group: Nov. 11th 3:00pm-5:00pm
- Justice Singing with Joe Tolbert from Highlander Center: Nov 18th 3:00pm-5:00pm
- An Evening of Holiday Songs and Sing-a-longs: Date TBD. Contact David Asbury to help you plan
- Valentine Soirée: An Evening of Love Songs: Date TBD. Contact David Asbury to help you plan or perform
- Music Department Volunteer Survey
- TVUUC Choral Music Rehearsal Tracks and Scores
- Brass Repertoire and Rehearsal Tracks
- 2019 Choral Inventory
- TVUUC Choral Rehearsal Tracks YouTube Playlist
- Child Friendly Hymns for UU Identity Development YouTube Playlist
- Music Education at TVUUC YouTube Playlist
- Music In the Works – a Tentative Schedule
- TVUUC House Band YouTube Playlist
- Provide Sunday services with a wide variety of musical styles, instrumentations, and cultural representation.
- Maintain a culture of music education at TVUUC that supports the Religious Exploration program in a way that encourages lifelong music volunteerism in the church and the activist community.
- Organize music-oriented social and educational gatherings such as soirées, talent shows, cabaret, workshops, and lecture series.
- Host events from groups outside the church such as The American Guild of Organists and the Knoxville Music Study Club.
- Facilities are available for outside ensembles needing rehearsal or performance space